This error might occur when you try to make changes in your address book like deleting a contact name, removing any of your friend lists or adding a new friend. Due to this error, none of the persons in your contacts list can see your avatar or display picture and vice versa.
This error can be displayed as “The last address book operation did not succeed due to a server error. (Error Code: -40402)”
This happens as Yahoo integrates Yahoo Mail’s address book in the Yahoo Messenger and you should probably wait until it is done.
Below given steps are applicable on Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7(32-bit and 64-bit). A variety of Yahoo! Messenger’s issues can be solved by clearing the Messenger’s cache. Following are the steps to clear your Yahoo Messenger’s cache:
- Right-click the Yahoo! Messenger smiley icon at the bottom-right corner of the screen and select “Exit”.
In Windows 7, “Messenger smiley” icon might be hidden in the notification area. So, to display such hidden icons, click on the up arrow in the notification area and follow the above step.
- Click on the Windows Start button, select “Programs” or “All Programs”.
- Select “Accessories” and then “Command Prompt”.
- From the given list of commands, copy one line at a time and then right-click within the box provided in the Command Prompt window to paste the command.
- With each pasted command, press “Enter” key to run the command.
If at any stage, the message “The system cannot find the file specified” is displayed, continue with the next command.
Below are the Command prompts:
rd “%AppData%Yahoo!” /s /q
rd “%ProgramFiles%Yahoo!MessengerCache” /s /q
rd “%ProgramFiles(x86)%Yahoo!MessengerCache” /s /q
rd “%LocalAppData%VirtualStoreProgram FilesYahoo!MessengerCache” /s /q
rd “%LocalAppData%VirtualStoreProgram Files (x86)Yahoo!MessengerCache” /s /q
If you receive an error message “access is denied” while using this on Windows Vista or 7, start again with Step 1, right-click on command prompt and select Run as Administrator at Step 2.
Now, you can sign in to your messenger account again after successfully clearing the cache.