If you try to access your mailbox by using Microsoft Outlook Web Access (OWA), you may receive an error message similar to the following:
HTTP 403 (Forbidden)
You are not authorized to view this page
This behavior may occur if the directory browsing feature is not turned on for the Exchange virtual directory.
To resolve this issue, turn on directory browsing for the Exchange virtual directory. To do this, follow these steps:
- Click Start, point to Programs, point to Microsoft Exchange, and then click System Manager.
- Expand Servers, expand ServerName (where ServerName is the name of your Exchange computer), expand Protocols, expand HTTP, and then expand Exchange Virtual Server.
- Under Exchange Virtual Server, right-click Exchange, and then click Properties.
- Click the Access tab, click to select the Directory browsing check box, and then click OK.
In Exchange 2007 and Exchange 2010 Outlook Web Access (OWA) uses HTTP Secured (HTTPS) by default and therefore when you type the URL you must type https://server.domain.com/owa instead of http://server.domain.com/owa
You can also configure your server to automatically redirect https request to OWA website as https requests:
- Log onto your Exchange server hosting the Client Access Server (CAS) role
- Open the IIS Management console (Start -> Administrative Tools -> Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager)
- Expand the ‘Default Website’ and click on ‘OWA’
- From the main window, click on ‘HTTP Redirect’
- Place a tick next to ‘Redirect requests to this destination’
- Enter the full https address for your OWA install.